[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Portland Karting Association • View topic - ***LEGISLATIVE ALERT***

It is currently Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ***LEGISLATIVE ALERT***
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:38 pm 

Two Oregon Senators introduced Senate Bill 49 recently for legislative consideration.

In effect this bill would make it illegal for anyone under the age of 12 to operate an ATV on public land (this means by statute Motorcycles, Quads, and Go-Karts). This bill would also limit those 12-16 years of age to a maximum 90cc ATV (Again motorcycle, quad, or go-kart) on public land.

Again this is a very poorly written bill and does not define the term ATV (Quad in most people's world), so it goes to the Oregon legal definition of ATV (ie off road motorcyucle, quad or go-kart)

JUST A WARNING...THE MAC TRACK IS ON PUBLIC LAND PEOPLE. IF YOU WANT YOUR CHILDREN TO PARTICIPATE IN PKA EVENTS AT THE MAC TRACK YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONTACT YOUR SENATORS TO DEFEAT THIS BILL SOUNDLY

Here is the link to find the Senators:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:38 am 

This is news indeed and potentially will  affect all of off road motorsports as we know it today. So read the bill and call your senator , representative and let them know how you feel about this. Steves link to the senators works and I left my phone message with them and will call again in the next few days.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:11 pm 

It will be interesting to see if PIR takes a stand on this. There are quite a few motorcycles on the motocross track in this age group.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:05 pm 

Kart #:
Chassis:
Class:
Club:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:50 pm 

Well the kart portion is in fact questionable to me at least, that is why I brought it up. The question is whether track karts apply under the ATV laws is in fact valid as they WERE NOT designed for ON ROAD use. It does however apply to buggies and 4 wheeled vehicles (such as sand rails and/or homemade karts that are used at the dunes) so it would be up to a legal interpretation by the Attorney General (in the liberal state of Oregon courts and government) whether all karts would apply. NOT A GOOD RISK IF YOU ASK ME.

Remember that an increasing number of PKA associate members are in fact motorcycle members and therefore are supporters and users of PKA facilities. In addition, they are also a financial portion of PKA and its future potential.

Here is the complete definitions:

ATV Definitions
Class I ATV Definition
ORS 801.190 defines a Class I all-terrain vehicle (ATV) as a:

"motorized, off-highway recreational vehicle 50 inches or less in width with a dry weight of 800 pounds or less that travels on three or more low pressure tires, has a saddle or seat for the operator, and is designed for or capable of cross-country travel on or immediately over land, water, sand,
snow, ice, marsh, swampland or other natural terrain."

THIS DEFINITION WOULD CERTAINELY FIT A HONDA ODESSEY OR THE BRIGGS AND STRATTON MOTOR KARTS LIKE THOSE SOLD AT GI JOES, ETC WITH ALL TERRAIN KART TIRES. DIRT KARTS ARE SET-UP VERY SIMILARLY WITH OFF ROAD TIRES.

THINK ABOUT THIS DEFINITION CLOSELY: A KART IS LESS THAN 50" WIDE AND TRAVELS ON OR IMMEDIATELY OVER LAND....NATURAL TERRAIN. THIS DEFINITION IS NOT WRITTEN TO BE ALL INCLUSIVE OF THE LAND STRUCTURES, WATER, ETC. FOR A VEHICLE TO BE CAPABLE OF ALL.

THIS IS A VERY CLOSE TO A COMPETITION ONLY KART AND I WOULDN'T TAKE THIS CHANCE. BE VERY CAREFUL AS KARTS COULD BE CONSIDERED A CLASS I ATV AS THEY WERE NOT MEANT FOR THE HIGHWAY OR ROADS.

Class II ATV Definition
ORS 801.193 defines a Class II ATV as any motor vehicle that:

1. Weighs more than a Class I ATV (800 pounds)
2. Is designed for or capable of cross-country travel on or
immediately over land, water, sand, snow, ice, swampland or other
natural terrain; and
3. Is actually being operated off a highway.

Class III ATV Definition:
ORS 801.194 defines a Class III ATV as "an off-highway motorcycle with
a dry weight of 600 pounds or less that travels on two tires."

NOTE: Class III ATVs ("dirt bikes") may or may not have been manufactured or equipped for highway use. To legally operate a dirt bike or similar vehicle on the public roads of Oregon, the vehicle must meet Federal highway safety and equipment requirements, Federal EPA requirements, and insurance requirements. See Imported Motorcycle
and Moped Requirements.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:43 pm 

Just contacted Senator Metsger and Rep Smith asking them to vote no or change the language to exclude organized events such as PKA, Salem and PIR.

I believe this bill came out of concerns for places like Sand Lake where more serious injuries happen in a summer than 10 years of organized racing at all the tracks in Oregon.

Better safe than sorry write your Legislatures.

Roger Freeborn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:05 am 

I did call one of the sponsoring legislators on this and the aid said the intent was not for the Karts, but may include motorcycles like the supermotos. I voiced a request that there should be exceptions to sanctioned organized events as they are a controlled and require high safety standards
I have called several of the larger Motorcycle shops in the area to inform them of the new proposed legislation. Some were aware and some were not.
While Roger pointed out the reference to Sand Lake etc. and is a valid point, I believe this bill is a bit far sweeping and request all of our membership to inform our neighbors and fellow riders and racers, to inform our representatives that this bill that way it is presented is not proper and needs to be voted down at this time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:25 am 

Mike,

I agree that the intent was not to gather karts, however it is a risk with our current legal environment, but certainly includes motorcycles, as written.

I personally do not oppose the legislative in reference to Quads (as it meets the manufacturers and ATV Safety Council recommendations) if their is a valid farm and competition exemption, however the broad terms used in this bill by not defining ATV makes it a big nightmare and exceptionally restrictive in nature.

I would prefer that they place a farm, competition, and adult supervision exemption in the bill. I could support this bill under those terms.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:47 am 

Heres a copy of an email I just got from Senator Metsger.

Roger,
thanks for the heads up...i have gotten more e-mail on this bill by sen.Devlin than just about anything else....I will check into the sands dune..i think you are probably right..I will protect the go-carts!!!!!!  hope all is well

rick