It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rain Tires?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:16 am 

Kart #: 57
Chassis: OTK
Class: WF
Club: PKA
So what is the plan on rain tires this weekend?

Since we can not get Bridgestones and might have other brands.

Might be good to come up with something for this weekend.

Steve

Post subject: Re: Rain Tires?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:11 pm 

Kart #: 335
Chassis: Swiss Hutless
Class: 125 Stock Moto
We've made the decision to keep the rules as they are for this weekend and there will not be an exception made to use an alternate tire for one race.

It's unfortunate that a series running two weeks ago had purchased the bulk of the US Bridgestone supply.

We understand this means some may not be able to attend, but making an exception causes other issues.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:31 am 

Kart #: 57
Chassis: OTK
Class: WF
Thanks for the information with 100% chance of rain I guess that pretty well covers it. I would think that since there is no Rains to be had that it would be in the best interest of the racers to have a exception until they can get tires from the local dealers.

Just a idea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:56 pm 

Kart #: 335
Chassis: Swiss Hutless
Class: 125 Stock Moto
I really do wish it were that easy of a decision, I've already posted the below on your FB page, but I'm going to post it again here so people understand we're not trying to alienate anyone or prevent people from attending this race for no reason. You may well not have made the same decision, but please understand that thought went into it.

<from FB>
This decision certainly wasn't made to upset all of you that can't get rain tires that have been spec'd for the series since 2015.

To start, I sat in a room with members that chose to attend the rule meeting where it was decided that 1) we wanted a spec tire and 2) we wanted Bridgestone. The advantage of Bridgestone isn't that it's fastest, but that it holds up in on-again off-again conditions that we normally get. We decided against MG since it doesn't hold up as well in those conditions.

All indications are that tomorrow is NOT going to be one of those days. Tomorrow is looking to be a WET day. In full wet conditions, an MG tire has a distinct speed advantage over the Bridgestone and also holds up very well. This advantage is exactly the reason we decided against having an open tire for the series. To keep people from having to buy multiple sets of rain tires for different wet conditions.

So, if we were to allow MG tires tomorrow for only those that can't get Bridgestone, then that is most certainly NOT fair to those that planned ahead and purchased the spec tire when it was available because the drivers on MGs will very likely have a speed advantage tomorrow. To be competitive then people with Bridgestones would be inclined to purchase MGs just for that day. Thus costing people more than it should (assuming that there's enough MGs around in stock, which there aren't) and end up with a tire they can't use again in the series unless it happens to rain at our GC event (highly unlikely).

I could already hear my phone ringing of people complaining they lost points from a person not on the spec tire beating them, and that would absolutely happen.

I completely understand the frustration, but there is NO perfect answer to this problem. The best answer to this problem is to accept tires that have been offered, so that everyone can participate on a level playing field on the spec tire.