It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:16 am 

Kart #: 7
Chassis: 2008 Rocket WF
Class: FJA/WFH
Club: SCCA
So...here's the story.
I've been autocrossing cars for about 17 years, and my daughter has run with me in a kart in SCCA Solo for 3 past seasons, first in SCCA FJB in a Comer powered cadet kart then last season ran scca FJA in a mid-2000s year Rocket with a World Formula motor. This seasn was pretty much a write off, with her grades not good enough to drive this year, and major family drama and budget situations that pretty much ruled out making my autocross car competitive this year, with car updates I need, tires, and maitenence...plus time needed just to get my car ready, pretty much meant I am taking this season off autocross wise. That being said......
I have a fun little WF kart sitting on its trailer in the garage now that might satisfy my need to drive for at least a few weekends this season. I was interested in possibly running a couple of WF heavy class races. I have a few questions...
1. Do I need the PARC racer membership (the $200 one) to enter a race
2. I weigh between 230 and 240lbs. Am I likely going to need any added weight to make the minimum for wf heavy?
3. Kart has a 70 or so rear sprocket. Wanted a bigger one for autocross, plus I am heavy and the kart seemed slow with a smaller sprocket on it when I first drove it....I'm a pretty heavy dude for a kart. My concern is....with the gearing I might have now, am I going to be totally set up wrong for Pats...I don't want to be a rolling chicane or a safety hazard.
4. The kart isn't a hardcore super competitive kart. It was just a purchase we made so my daughter could autocross. I don't know the last time the engine was rebuilt, (runs well enough), and it was originally set up by the previous owner, who was likely a lot lighter than me. I haven't made any changes to it, except change the oil and have a new chain/sprocket put on when I bought it.I really know nothing about sprint race setup for these things. Again....would it be a mistake to show up and run? I don't want to be a moving obstacle. Just want to at least keep up with some of the field. I know nothing about how one of your races is run and what a weekend entails.
5. I am assuming I'll have to rent a transponder. Not sure where it would mount?
6. I have a snell 2010 helmet, a Bilt brand motorcycle jacket from Cycle Gear, jeans, gloves, and a foam neck brace. Is that enough gear to run?
So....bottom line...I know very well that I know nothing. Just wanted to see what your answers would be.....hoping I can just get out and compete a little bit this season....thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:06 am 

Kart #: 77
Chassis: MBA
Class: TagE/FKE-1
Club: PKA
If you have the time today, you might wish to take the kart and gear out to our track in McMinnville. There is a club race there and all your questions can be answered face to face by the runner in the WF class.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:47 am 

Kart #: 7
Chassis: 2008 Rocket WF
Class: FJA/WFH
Club: SCCA
PTTM wrote:
If you have the time today, you might wish to take the kart and gear out to our track in McMinnville. There is a club race there and all your questions can be answered face to face by the runner in the WF class.

Can't today. Was hoping to get some info before packing everything up and showing up. With the family stuff going on I have to plan well in advance an excursion like that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:40 am 

Kart #: 174 & 14
Class: WF & CR125
Club: PKA
1. Don't quote me on this, but I don't believe so. There is an option on the race entry form for non-member that is $105 instead of $65. You can also join PKA instead of PARC and get the same discount at all OSKCS races including the ones at Pat's Acres. PKA runs the sprint races at MAC track and road racing at PIR and ORP.
2. I believe you will be over the weight minimum. If not, it will not be hard to find some lead to borrow for the day if you ask around in the pits.
3. Need to know your driver sprocket too to know the gear ratio. 17 tooth or 18 tooth? Regardless, you can buy sprockets at the track from Don's trailer or the PARC store.
4. No, come out and race. Everyone starts in the back. A few races from now you'll be battling with the other guys in the back. Give it a year and maybe you'll be mixing things up in the middle.
5. Wherever seems convenient so long as it is behind the kingpins. Some people zip tie it to a side pod, others the back of their seat.
6. Shoes/boots that cover the ankles, the rest is good to go.